[DotGNU]Re: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 14:30:34 -0400

This is an implication of the application server framework,
not so much XML/etc.  For instance the REST people are very
dedicated to the end-to-end principle along with XML (though
this is not to say that the end-to-end principle substitutes
for a dependable strategy to assure freedom).  People who
access remote web services only get data, not applications.
So they end up in a position of saying, what do I need code
for, anyway?  The application server model is very well
designed to make people into *consumers* of "information
services," not to encourage people to build and maintain
their own servers.  It also leads people to the standpoint
of not even loading applications on their local machines.

This is actually why the proprietary camp sees so much going
for them in the web services arena, why Yahoo, etc. are
moving to block interoperation the way they are.

Seth Johnson

--

[CC] Counter-copyright:
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cc/cc.html