consensus

Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto

From: ☮ elf Pavlik ☮
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 09:25:55 +0000

Excerpts from Richard Stallman's message of 2013-01-01 02:05:11 +0000:
>     2. Know where the data is stored
>     Everybody should be able to know: where their personal data is
>     physically stored, how long, on which server, in what country, and what
>     laws apply.
>
>     3. Choose the storage location
>     Everybody should always be able to migrate their personal data to a
>     different provider, server or their own machine at any time without
>     being locked in to a specific vendor.
>
> I guess so, but in the long term, this is aiming low.  The real goal
> should be that everyone has a server and keeps her data there.
On one side 'everyone has a server' sounds interesting but on the other side
could come very unpractical. I look for similar situation to Community
Supported Agriculture, where small local collectives or IT savy individuals
offer services for local communities. Many of my friends, especially those who
don't feel super comfortable with computers or try to use them as little as
possible, would appreciate if someone else kept supporting them with
maintaining their online accounts!