consensus

Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto

From: Hugo Roy
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 07:53:22 +0100

Le dimanche 06 janvier 2013 à 21:20 -0500, Richard Stallman a écrit :
> Not all services are SaaS.  If it doesn't do _the user's own
> computing_ then it isn't SaaS.

I'm sorry. I thought we should not use the word "own" ;-)

To be more serious: That's exactly a problem we need to define. What's
acceptable there and what's not. What makes wikipedia not your own
computing? What makes social networks not your own computing? etc

But we have to make a choice. You call it compromise, I might call it
transition or progress. The fact is, we do not offer the free software
solution to people who want to engage in social networks on the web
right now. For this, people use proprietary and centralised services
that trade both their freedom and their rights. That's an urgent issue
to fix, and I think the best way to tackle it right now is to have
competing, distributed or decentralised free software that enable people
to get more control over their data.

Yes, that means not everyone is going to run their own server. Some
people are going to do that for them. But that is already a big, big
step in the right direction, especially if we get consensus between them
on what should be the set of rights users will have, and what technical
requirements they have in terms of cryptography etc. Which is what we
are trying to do here, if I understood correctly.

--
Hugo Roy
  French Coordinator, FSFE      chat: address@hidden