consensus

Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto

From: Hugo Roy
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 13:51:29 +0100

Le mardi 01 janvier 2013 à 01:45 +0100, Christian Grothoff a écrit :

> I realize this is a totally different approach, but I personally would
> neither want to promise something that software alone cannot ensure
> nor rely on other participants to behave lawfully or ethically.

I think both approaches are complementary. Frank's manifesto also
included some technical requirements.

Although, if you choose not to rely "on other participants to behave
lawfully" you might as well leave in a cave. Or did I misunderstand your
statement? You want something that can "be strictly enforced on a
technical level" but these are still promises made to the user. So you
have to rely on the people implementing parts of the system for you to
behave ethically (by following their promise) and legally (if the
promise is a legally binding contract). You also have to trust them in
some way, unless you read and understand the whole source code yourself,
you always rely on other people to behave ethically.

Anyway, my point is that we should not make a complete distinction, they
go hand-in-hand and we could include your proposals with the
improvements to Frank's text.

--
Hugo Roy
  French Coordinator, FSFE      chat: address@hidden