consensus

Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto

From: hellekin (GNU Consensus)
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 15:39:14 -0300

On 01/06/2013 09:51 AM, Hugo Roy wrote:

> I think both approaches are complementary. Frank's manifesto also
> included some technical requirements.

*** Yes, there's probably room for a text for end-users, and another
text for developers. Both are a distinct public with different
requirements. Ideally, the text for end-users would invoke the text for
developers: following Christian's advice, programmers would at least
show their interest in protecting the rights of the end-user.

> You want something that can "be strictly enforced on a
> technical level" but these are still promises made to the user.

*** That is the reason why it needs to be free software. Only
peer-review can ensure a program is following the guidelines presented
in a consensual text.

> You also have to trust them in
> some way, unless you read and understand the whole source code yourself,
> you always rely on other people to behave ethically.

*** Not only in code, but also in science! Moreover, ToS:DR has the same
issue: end-users trust the peer-review process to bring an honest
qualification of the various Terms of Services. As we're living in the
post-Web world, we also understand that the trust is not only granted to
an individual, but on the community of peer-reviewers.

I think we're discussing the User Data Manifesto not only because it has
flaws in its current form, but also because there is an interest in
having such a manifesto available to end-users. That is a constructive
discussion, as I see it.

==
hk