Re: Eclipse

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: Eclipse
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:33:04 +0200

Tom Tromey wrote:
"Tom" == Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

"Dalibor" == Dalibor Topic <address@hidden> writes:

Dalibor> Given that classes outside JAXP (beans, imageio) depend on
Dalibor> it, I'd be for making GNU JAXP (or another JAXP
Dalibor> implementation, if necessary) a hard requirement.

Tom> Me too, for the same reasons.

Oops, I misread Dalibor's post.

To clarify, my opinion is that all necessary dependencies should be
integrated into Classpath, so that the core is self-contained.  I
don't think we should have any required external dependencies on parts
of the java core (a stronger statement may not be possible due to our
Gtk dependency...).

Hi Tom, Hallo Michael,

I guess I was pretty imprecise in my choice of wording. Sorry for that.

I, too, want to see GNU JAXP integrated into GNU Classpath.

I don't think it's absolutely inevitable to merge GNU JAXP's source code in, if and only if it can be made a hard requirement during the build process. In that case, to build classpath one would need that additional dependency. Plus point on the modularisation side (you could still use GNU JAXP separately from GNU Classpath). Minus point on the maintenance side (you need to continue dealing with two possibly asynchronious packages).

I definitely wouldn't object to merging GNU JAXP in, as that's what I do in kaffe already, and that works quite well. It would also keep my maintenance and resyncing time a little lower, so that would be quite cool.[1]

If GNU JAXP development moves over to GNU Classpath's tree, or there is someone who keeps the things in sync, than that's my preferred solution, as I'd chose easier maintenance over better modularisation :) I'd favor merging it in, rather then having someone as a manual patch courier between the projects, as that reduces the mutual maintenance work.

But I could live with a hard external dependency, in case there is some good reason for it.

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] In the not-so-long run, the plan is to use GNU Classpath out of the box anyway. Then I'll finally have more time to do other things than syncing up with Michael's latest patches :)