Re: Eclipse

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Eclipse
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:59:54 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 17:32, Andrew John Hughes wrote:
>       I know the issue of Eclipse working with GNU Classpath has mentioned
> several times on the mailing list in the past.  Can anyone give me a
> status update, especially as regards the 3.x series?

Not much has changed since 0.10 when we could startup 3.0 but not do
much else (basically the java editor view is broken which makes most of
the IDE a bit useless).

> I last looked at Eclipse just after JAXP was removed from Classpath.
> IIRC, it failed looking for the XML stuff, which suggests that JAXP
> needs to be there -- what's the best way to get this back in (or other
> such extensions -- I'm only familiar with this as regards Sun's)? I'm
> using JamVM with CVS classpath, at present.

Yep. And unfortunately something is preventing the use of pure GNU JAXP.
So you will have to install Xalan-J for now. If you are using jamvm then
you could try something like:

PATH=.:$PATH ./eclipse -vm jamvm -debug -consoleLog -vmargs -ms256M -mx256M \
  -bootclasspath/p
~/xalan/bin/xml-apis.jar:~/xalan/bin/xercesImpl.jar:~/xalan/bin/xalan.jar \
  -Dosgi.locking=none

We still need to investigate what goes wrong when GNU JAXP is installed.

> Plus, with the XML decoder, are there any plans to put this stuff back
> in?  It means more maintenance work, but perhaps the current maintainers
> could move to working on Classpath?

For 0.12 I want to at least move GNU JAXP in again in the external
directory. Maybe it can become a regular part of GNU Classpath, we would
need to discuss that with Chris and Arnaud.

Cheers,

Mark