Re: Eclipse

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: Eclipse
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:28:06 -0700

Tom Tromey wrote:

In fact, I think a release that is compatible with just JDK 1.0
> is kind of laughable at this date.

I agree.  If complete-TCK-passing compatibility with something
is desirable, at least go for 1.1.x, since that matches what
MS used to ship (except for evil extensions, of course), and
since we already implement most (all?) of what 1.1 added.

I suspect the main thing missing at this point is a dependable
security implementation, including the verifier and the
SecurityManager, most of which realy isn't Classpath per se.
(On the other hand, if Tom's new verifier can share code between
the gcj compiler and runtime, maybe it can be parameterized
further so it can be plugged into other VMs?)
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://per.bothner.com/