GNU JAXP integration and what should be in 1.0?

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: GNU JAXP integration and what should be in 1.0?
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:09:12 +0200

Hi,

Everybody agrees that integrating GNU JAXP somehow into the default GNU
Classpath build would be nice. That is what we will do somehow for 0.12
(target date Friday November 5). Whether we do that by importing it as
we did in the past as a external package or by completely merging in GNU
JAXP depends on what the current developers (Chris, Arnaud, Musachy)
think works best for them and whether all GNU Classpath requirements
(http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/docs/hacking.html#SEC2) can be
followed. I am currently rewriting some classes for GNU JAXP for which
we don't have paperwork on file with the FSF. But it seems this can be
completed at the end of this week.

What else should go into GNU Classpath before we can call it 1.0 depends
more on when we think we have a complete, well tested and documented
library that we would fully recommend other free software hackers base
their new projects on than on whether we are fully compatible with a
particular release of a proprietary library. Although realistically we
want to be as complete a replacement as possible. Roman started an
overview at http://ontographics.com/classpath/status-1.0.html
It would be good if we could complete that for 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4
where possible.

Cheers,

Mark