Re: [Simulavr-devel] Undo the fork ...

From: ThomasK
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Undo the fork ...
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 22:07:28 +0100

Hi,

to answer todays mails:

- I think, I'll left untouched both CVS repos, even if it isn't possible to set it read only. There are not so much people, which could upload code ... ;-) GIT repo should hold (at first only) the master branch from fork, nothing else.

- Jörgs proposal, to "hide" code from simulavrxx tree should be done, if we have established code in GIT AND if all, which want to test this code, have made theirs tests.

- ok, why not version 1.0. Then I'll set - like in Onno's proposal - version to 1.0rc0 to signal, that we have a stable state in the near future. New features and bigger changes (except bugs) will come in next version. (aka 1.1)

- web page: Because we must use the CVS repo for this, I'll put the sources to create it into GIT repo (like in avr-libc project as Jörg has described) So, the web page will be created from this sources and uploaded to web-CVS-repo. Together with a few scripts (which are also situated in GIT repo) we have a simple way to update web page.

- TCL interface: current state is, that it SHOULD work ... untested. I have made some tests with the example code, and this seems to work. Maintaining TCL interface splits up into 2 parts: SWIG interface and example code. Problem is: the SWIG interface description depend on HOW I WANT TO USE the interface. Current state is to include simply all header files. But I'm not sure, if this is a really needed state. For some classes it's not recommended to have a TCL interface for this classes and on the other hand for some classes it could be necessary to declare a "director class" or special interface methods for this class. See current python interface description for more informations, what this means. (it's easy to support many languages with SWIG, but to get WORKING interfaces needs some work) If I know, that there is somebody, who uses TCL interface, updates examples to get working examples (as I remember, some are ... not a eyecatcher ;-) ), then I could have a better sleep! :-) I accept, that somebody need this.

cu, Thomas