Re: [Simulavr-devel] Undo the fork ...

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Undo the fork ...
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 13:40:49 +0100

As ThomasK wrote:

> "Old" CVS repo will stay untouched. If it is possible, we could set
> it to read-only (I havn't looked on admin permissions page, so I'm
> not sure, if this is possible)

No, there's no "read-only" knob.  My suggestion is to just cvs rm
then entire simulavrxx subdirectory in it (so it will be moved to
the Attic), and then leave a placeholder file redirecting anyone to
the new repo.

Just leave the historic simulavr directory as is then, so you don't
have to take care about it (and its history) in the new rep.

> One question for that step is, what version should I set, in the
> moment we have set in our fork "0.10rc1", but I'm not fixed on
> that. Proposals welcome!

As the legacy simulavr had a version number 0.1.xx, I'd suggest to
start with something substantial higher than that, at least 0.5.  That
way, automatic version checks will recognize it as something more
recent than 0.1.xx.

But then, why not simply start with a 1.0?  Klaus' last simulavrxx
releases he did were already labelled 0.8.x, so it would seem logical
to have something more.  I'd encourage you to finally start with
version 1. ;-)

(Web pages)

> The (unsolved) question for this is:
> where to store the sources? [...]

I'd recommend using what is that, i.e. the CVS Web repository, at
least for the HTML part.  Of course, if it's generated, it might make
sense to have the sources somewhere else (i.e., in your regular
repository).  In avr-libc, the documentation is extracted from the
source code by doxygen, and I then cvs import the HTML tree into a
vendor branch which is a second-level directory in the HTML tree.  The
toplevel is manually generated, and allows for some kind of general
introduction.  Vendor branches aren't CVS' brightest thing, but it
works well enough for that purpose, as long as you never try to commit
anything directly into that subtree of the CVS repo, and as long as
you aren't going to delete and later re-introduce file names.  That's
where CVS really starts to suck, for all other things, it's good
enough for the job.

You can also place links to the VCS source code browser (which I think
does also exist for Git, not only for CVS/SVN).

> it depends on how Savannah copies files from
> CVS to web page tree, there is no description available, how this works!

There's a completely separate CVS tree for the web pages.  Any commit
operation there automatically triggers a web page update at the end.