Re: [Protux-devel] BusMonitor

From: Luciano Giordana
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] BusMonitor
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 23:07:29 -0300

> -"VUBusses IN" for card "n" - "VUBusses OUT" for card "n" - "InfoBox Card
> n",
>
> and so on for all (n) cards.
>

> But how to name the individual Busses? For every card an enumeration for
> the IN's and OUT's or for ALL Busses one enumeration?

Follow the mustux standard. It separates in and out buses, and use this
convention (for example)

PLAYBACK BUSES :
Mustux Bus ID   Descriptor      Bus Name
  0             hw:0,3          EMU10K1 - 1st OUT (hw:0,3)
  1             hw:0,0          EMU10K1 - 2nd OUT (hw:0,0)
  2             hw:1,0          SB16 - 1st OUT (hw:1,0)

CAPTURE BUSES :
Mustux Bus ID   Descriptor      Bus Name
  0             hw:0,2          EMU10K1 - 1st IN (hw:0,2)
  1             hw:0,1          EMU10K1 - 2nd IN (hw:0,1)
  2             hw:0,0          EMU10K1 - 3rd IN (hw:0,0)
  3             hw:1,0          SB16 - 1st IN (hw:1,0)

and so on...
> If you think this is a good idea, then MustuxAudioBus must have some
> "get_bus_numbers_IN_for_card(int cardNumber)", and of course for the OUT
> busses also.

there is the get_total_buses_in/out() which will give the total number for all
cards,
mustux maps all cards into inly two independ rack of buses ; in and out; but
do not differentiate cards.

> Another thing, how to scale the VU's? The scale is now logarithmic (10Log)
> but I don't know if this is common for Audio applications.
It is really logaritmic: Maximum level is 0dB and minimum is -infinite. I have
the formula, but I dont know where I put,
I will get and send to you ASAP.

> P.S. Hopefully I didn't mess things to much up, but at least on my
> computer, it looks nice :-)

Regards