RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] address book

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] address book
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 09:05:47 -0400

Now I'm spouting off a bit on something I don't totally understand

My understanding of the LDAP standard allows users to create information and
stick it in with whatever formatting they want - just like any other
database

I think that there is a standard for contact info in LDAP directories but it
still may not suit our purposes.  Does the LDAP standard include the data
format for contact information including the separation of individuals and
organizations?

Also, LDAP installation and use is a PAIN IN THE BUTT!  Only a few Linux
distros support it as part of their package and even then, it doesn't
install smoothly.  I found finding complete documentation (as in How-to's)
to be problematic and there are few user-friendly LDAP clients (for Linux)

All I wanted to do was switch to LDAP for user authentication so that I
wouldn't have to make user accounts for the system and separate ones for
phpgw - it caused problems with rpm of all things - I switched back after a
month of struggling

To force phpgw users to use LDAP is NOT _the_ anwser until LDAP matures into
a more user friendly system