Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] address book

From: Buchan Milne
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] address book
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 10:44:04 +0200

Reading this thread, I can't help thinking that you guys are talking
about LDAP. IMHO, LDAP should be the preferred contacts storage backend,
simply because:

a)There is a standard
b)It is supported by almost all software. Outlook, Outlook Express,
Mozilla, Netscape, Pegasus Mail, Evolution etc all support it to
different extents.

So, I think that any thoughts on this should include the possibility of
easily migrating to LDAP (ie importing contacts from Outlook, Outlook
Express etc into LDAP).

Buchan

address@hidden wrote:
| On 16 Apr 2002 at 9:14, Peter Moulding wrote:
|

|>I agree with the need to expand the address book. My own preference is
|>to adopt the parent child system used in some other phpgw tables.
|>
|>Let us enter companies as parents and people as children of the company
|>entries. If a person needs departments, they can add the departments as
|>the children and people as grandchildren.
|>
|>This would allow any structure without additional tables.
|>
|>Peter
|>

| i have exactly done this separation into organizations and
individuals. i used the exsting