RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Palm synchro

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Palm synchro
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 11:18:14 -0400

I made some assumptions (partly due to how coldsync works)

In the fetch conduit that runs after the hotsync button is pressed but
before the sync begins, if records don't match, it means the phpgw has
changed so I update the pdb, add any phpgw records that aren't already in
the .pdb, and delete any from the .pdb that aren't in phpgw

The sync conduit transfers any records that have changed between the palm
pda and the .pdb.  This is the generic conduit that assumes that if both
have changed, the server copy governs (I think)

The dump conduit runs after the sync has finished (potentially after the
Palm pda is removed from the cradle).  It compares the new pdb to phpgw.  If
there is a difference, it changes the phpgw record.  New records in the .pdb
are added to phpgw and records in phpgw that aren't in the .pdb are deleted

I think this method handles interupted syncs very well.  You're unlikely to
get duplicated records in either source, and the only way you loose changes
is if both sources have changed (then the phpgw record governs)

The methodology I use also has allowed a nice little twist - once the
conduits are set up to work, the user doesn't need to touch them.

The control over what categories to sync is done right from the Palm pda
(doesn't work for datebook though - palm app doesn't use categories - I'm
open to suggestions but I think just sync all appointments for current user
is good)

The user simply adds or removes the category on the palm pda & future syncs
will start transfering records for that category (takes two sync's to get
records from phpgw due to the way Coldsync works though - first sync
transfers over the category change in the sync operation and the next sync
starts transferring records from phpgw in the fetch procedure)