lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev TRST : see LHFB

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev TRST : see LHFB
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 23:42:05 -0500 (EST)

991113 Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, Philip Webb wrote:
>> goto  www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/ocaa2.html ,
>> which has been tidied up with my awk program;
>> look at Tables 3-1 to 3-5 , starting at page 27 (ie enter  27p ).
>>> What about the headings?
> there is nothing in the markup that says
> "this is a column heading row" or "this is a 'real' table row".

yes: i've changed appropriate <TD> ... </TD>'s to <TH> ... </TH>'s
in  www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/ocaa3.html ,
which improves the processing in some tables, but not others.
i have been L/R-scrolling using  most , with Lynx  -width=200 .

next point: the <TD> & <TH> tags contain attributes WIDTH="n%" :
can't TRST use these to wrap headings/numbers which exceed those limits,
allowing for the available column space (whatever Lynx -width says)?
ie if i have an 80-col display, of which Lynx uses  74 cols ,
TRST would say: "rounding down, we have  18 col  for each <TH>/<TD>,
so i'll wrap with stated alignment (or default TH left, TD right)"?
in fact, if the <TH>/<TD> WIDTH's are observed,
a table which calls <TH>'s <TD>'s (as the previous ocaa2.html does)
won't cause problems, tho' L/R alignments may be imprecise.
TRST can keep track of how many lines/row it must allow (in pass 1),
then use that information when reformatting the table later.

you started this: can we keep trying to improve it a step at a time?
i hope you are realising from my example (ocaa)
that tables can be a central part of useful real-life documents,
not just for people who watch football (grin at KD).