lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev TRST : see LHFB

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev TRST : see LHFB
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 10:10:07 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, Philip Webb wrote:

> goto  www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/ocaa2.html ,
> which has been tidied up with my awk program;
> look at Tables 3-1 to 3-5 , starting at page 27 (ie enter  27p ).
>
> > What about the headings?
>
> yes, that may be the problem: if it is, i would respectfully suggest
> that TRST should try to format the numbers by column,
> even if the column headings have to be left alone.

But there is nothing in the markup, afaics, that says "this is a column
heading row" or "this is a 'real' table row".

> users will have to sort out the headings anyway,
> but having the numbers formatted more appropriately will help with that.
>
> > Would the numbers fit *if* the table was formatted in tabular form?
> sorry, don't understand: do you mean what i just suggested?

What I meant was simply: Consider

   11111 2       (two cells, first table row)
   3 44444       (two cells, second table row)

fits in a width of 7 in minimal rendering (ignore any margin issues).  But
in tabular form it needs a width of 11:

  11111 2
  3     44444

So, having some row fit on a line when TRST doesn't kick in does not mean
that TRST could doe something reasonable with it.

> > Try viewing the document in a wider screen.
>
> beyond my hardware.
>
> > If that is not possible or too limited,
> > use something like  lynx -dump -width=200 [URL] | most
> >  most  allows left/right scrolling.
>
>  most  is not available on our system.

It's worth getting for this purpose alone.  FTP url is given in lynx.cfg.
I'ts only a fraction of the size of lynx - if you can compile lynx, you
should have no problem with this.  (you need the slang library)

> > increasing width, you should see successively more tables become tabular.
>
> that's good to learn.

Well, it doesn't really help those with a screen width of 80 or 100...
But please see for yourself with -dump -width=...

   Klaus