lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev TRST & lynxcgi

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev TRST & lynxcgi
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 06:17:10 -0500 (EST)

991109 Henry Nelson wrote:
> Lynxcgi is a powerful tool.  The main reason Lynx is being loaded up
> with pure garbage and trying to emulate MSIE and WORD is
> the gross misunderstanding that lynxcgi, lynxprog and lynxexec
> are crutches of some kind.  it's truly the other way around.
> MSIE and WORD can't touch a candle to Lynx because they don't have them.

so it's all the more important that they be documented properly, yes?

> Start with basics.  Here is a script that gives a bare bones message,
> ie feeds Lynx an html document:
>       #!/bin/csh -f
>       echo "Content-type: text/html"
>       echo ""
>       echo "<h1>Good morning\!</h1></body></html>"
> Didn't work?  Did you remember to change the permission: % chmod 755?
> Is the path to the script complete and correct?
> did you escape the "!"?  Is there really a "/bin/csh"?
> Once the script itself is working, just put a link in some html page,
> eg a bookmark page:  lynxcgi://home/lamatia/.lynx/lynxcgi/echotest.ch
> Using lynx compiled with  --enable-cgi-links
> hit return on that link, and you'll get the display:
>                                                                   CGI test
>
>                                  Good morning!

that is indeed what happens ...

> No need, and preferred if you DON'T, edit userdefs.h or lynx.cfg.
> Simply replace "echotest.ch" with any _working_ cgi.
> Compile a program you've written in c for even greater speed and power.

no, not just any program: neither you nor Supported URLs tell the user
how to get the script to process a file from Lynx.
your example above has no input from Lynx or from any file;
the miniscule documentation available doesn't mention the possibility,
but does warn users not to use lynxcgi outside strict limits.

i don't believe lynxcgi is what is neede for my purpose:
if you still think so, read my other message (to be sent next)
& tell me clearly how to do it that way, rather than the way i've found.