Re: about GNU Hurd

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: about GNU Hurd
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 07:35:27 +0200

       In fact while I am being frank, what is your level of interest in the
       Hurd Richard?  The few times that I have seen you speak or read your
       commentaries, you don't show much of an interest yourself.  You speak of
       Ututo and others when you have legions of folks that you could probably
       drive to the "GNU System".

   When we started development of the Hurd, it was absolutely essential.
   We needed a free kernel, and there was none.

   Since we have Linux, the Hurd is no longer essential.

I do not agree Richard. Having the Hurd is essential in that a)
it would be a GPLv3 project thus protecting user freedom and
avoiding tivoization and b) would be a GNU (project and kernel)
and thus would give some guaranties about project quality and
future.

Linux is ok as it is a free software but if they stick with GPLv2
only, it is a no-no for long term and mainly depends on the "bon
vouloir" of one person (or a small group of people). GNU's target
is mainly philosophic and target freedom, linux does not (it just
has to just work). Having something working is one thing, but
having something working plus the freedom is much more better.

        Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org