Re: about GNU Hurd

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: about GNU Hurd
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 20:27:52 +0200 (CEST)

   I am not familiar with the Hurd and its development status, and do
   not feel able to contribute to its development directly, but I am
   able to offer a moderate bounty for a stable, GPLv3, more or less
   drop-in replacement of the Linux kernel to complete the GNU system,
   that boots on a decent amount of commodity hardware.

It already does that all of that (with some minor quirks), the problem
is drivers.  Something that Linux 10 years ahead of us, and we will
most probobly always play catch; though some kind of pluggable driver
API was added recently, so who knows... Will you use GNU on your
laptop when there is no WIFI support? Sound support? USB support?
Those are the problems that have to be solved; not some overdesigned
system.