Re: about GNU Hurd

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: Re: about GNU Hurd
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 21:27:49 +0200

On 8/2/07, Alfred M. Szmidt <address@hidden> wrote:
>    I am not familiar with the Hurd and its development status, and do
>    not feel able to contribute to its development directly, but I am
>    able to offer a moderate bounty for a stable, GPLv3, more or less
>    drop-in replacement of the Linux kernel to complete the GNU system,
>    that boots on a decent amount of commodity hardware.
>
> It already does that all of that (with some minor quirks),

That's good to hear.

> The problem is drivers.  Something that Linux 10 years ahead of us,
> and we will most probobly always play catch; though some kind of
> pluggable driver API was added recently, so who knows...

I don't know if you expected answers for the following questions,
but I'll do it.

I would not mind having to wait more for the newest hardware
to be supported, as long as there is some combination of hardware
that works and can be bought.

> Will you use GNU on your laptop when there is no WIFI support?
> Sound support? USB support?
> Those are the problems that have to be solved; not some overdesigned
> system.

With the exclusion of WIFI, of which I could not care less about,
I would not be able to use it without sound support and USB support,
since I need to keep in contact with my family abroad (VoIP),
and I also need to be able to use USB memory sticks.
But I could still dual boot until that functionality is provided.

I agree that those are problems to be solved, though I do not understand
what you mean about an 'overdesigned system', I never suggested any.

Claudio