Re: about GNU Hurd

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: about GNU Hurd
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 22:43:58 +0200

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 04:51:15PM +0200, Marco Gerards wrote:

> > Our lawyers think that they can relicense Linux if they want to. It
> > is important to do this, to protect the users from tivoization.
>
> How would that work?  I really hope you can explain this in more
> detail.  What you are saying goes against what my common sense tells
> me and what people in general think about this issue.

Linus himself says he believes Linux *could* change the license, if they
really saw a good reason for that.

Basically it requires contacting all the copyright holders of v2-only
code bits. Of course, this will leave some code that can't be
relicensed, because the copyright holders are not reachable, or because
they don't agree. But this is likely to be a relatively small portion,
which can be easily replaced.

-antrik-