Re: about GNU Hurd

From: arnuld
Subject: Re: about GNU Hurd
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:14:38 +0530

> On 8/28/07, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
> I agree in that the Hurd project has some organizational issues. But,
> just my oppinion, those issues maily comes from a lack of capable
> hackers, and from a lack of _actual_ work. There are many people
> reading the Hurd User Guide, the Hurd Hacking Guide, the OSF Mach
> books, etc. But, how many people you know that is able to actually
> hack gnumach? From these mach-capable hackers, how many of them are
> _actually_ hacking gnumach?

ver-very few.

well, may be 1 only..

> Some years ago there was a spanish Hurd community. We were three
> mach-hacking-capable hackers plus several interested hackers using the
> system and willing to collaborate. We organized a Hurd Meeting (a
> technical one) hoping we could transmit our knowledge about Mach and
> Hurd programming to these hackers. Well, the group died a few months
> later. The meeting didnt work.

so those mach-capable-hackers refused to work ?

> Many more lines complaining about the state of the Hurd project has
> been written than lines of code trying to solve it.

right

but i can't write code as i don't know C and can't learn it ATM. i am
jobless and penniless, so i am focusing on C++ and OOA-M-&-D as with
that I have lots of opprtunities. If i could get money for C, i could
have started that but that is not possible.

BTW, My personal choice are Common Lisp, Haskell, C and Mercury and if
I ever write a software myself, I will use them

 > Still, there are organizational problems. I think the project need a
> refresh.

right, this is the 1st step we need. we need to identify the problems
and set goals for Hurd. Trust me,when this is done, Hurd will get its
1st version very soon, may be within a year :)

> I would appoint Thomas Schwinge as the unique maintainer for
> both the Hurd and gnumach. He seems to be the most active hacker doing
> real work. He seems to enjoy working in the actual Hurd kernel (not in
> HurdNG or something like that). He could make a new website updated
> with clear directions and development procedures in
> http://hurd.gnu.org. etc.

Thomas Schwinge did a great work of creating a new Hurd-Wiki. He is
doing real-work.

> I would politely ask Brinkman, Bushnell and Neal to pass the baton to
> him. They seem to be working in other projects such as HurdNG, that is
> not the Hurd anymore since the basic design has changed.

I thought that they are no longer working with GNU Porject..

> I may be wrong, so just my oppinion :)

your opinion is right.

--
http://arnuld.blogspot.com/