Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --fix]
Date: 05 Apr 2004 16:33:22 +0200

>> I spent a few years working on a 300 MB tree with a laptop with 4
>> GB local disk, typically none of which was free; that would not
>> have been possible with arch.)

TL> Depends what you're doing.  You have room for 13 copies of that tree
TL> on your laptop.   Arch can keep you quite happy within that
TL> constraint.

Except that, with the tree checked out and compiled, the laptop had
exactly 0 free space.

TL> For simple hack/commit usage, you can by with just 2 copies (3
TL> transiently)

In my case, that's 1 GB instead of 300 MB, right?

Partial solutions to the problem:

  - a ``tla export'' that doesn't require any extra space;
  - the ability to do ``tla get'' and ``tla export'' on a subtree;
  - the ability to do ``tla commit'' when you've only got a subtree.

Not an urgent request, though, I'm pretty happy with arch as it stands.

                                        Juliusz