[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --f

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --fix]
Date: 04 Apr 2004 23:45:09 -0400

> (Another thing which I find arch unsuitable for is hacking at a large
> remote tree when you don't have much local disk space.  I spent a few

That's true.  Arch simply was designed at a time where disk space is pretty
cheap, especially for storing code.  Most new revision control systems have
similar requirements.

The assumption is that people will be more willing to buy another disk than
to pay the money to make Arch use their disk space more efficiently.
And note also that this disk space comes with the benefit of more efficient
use of the network and even disconnectd operation.

When you're managing a tree consisting of actual code, it's rarely
a problem since 300MB of code is already really big but fits comfortably on
current 80GB disks.

Maybe when you're managing program generated data (like images or whatever),
it can become more problematic.

        Stefan