Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --fix]
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 22:19:26 -0400

Tom Lord wrote:
Holy Cow!  That's close to an idea that I think could be _really_
sweet.  Are you sure this isn't what you meant?:

Have annotation work on a particular version, possibly on a linear
list of versions.  Make tool like `patch' but that updates an
annotated file (it only has to work for known-to-be-exact patching).

I'm a bit lost about what this tool is for.

Now, derive a new version from the one you want to annotate.   So:

        tla--devo--1.3          =>   Annotated-tla--devo--1.3

with a 1:1 mapping of revisions.

I'm a bit out of my depth here, since I haven't used annotations. Is it okay to require that annotations cannot be changed without committing a new revision to the source tree? (1:1 will introduce that requirement.)

You'd also need some fanciness to get the base-0 revision right.

If all of these revisions are tags, doesn't patch-N have the same problems as base-0?

That'll roughly doubles the archive storage needed and puts more
pressure on revlibs --- but that's _all_ it does.

Hmm. I wasn't suggesting storing any data in the annotation tree (just metadata), so the archive storage should be considerably less than half of the source tree. Maybe I'm not understanding you.

Aaron