Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --fix]
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 20:14:47 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Juliusz Chroboczek <address@hidden>

    > >> I don't assume a short period of time (I'm thinking of the Emacs
    > >> repository which is almost 10 years old (if you count its RCS
    > >> life)).  With CVS, the >10K revisions all in "the same big
    > >> thing" work just fine.

    > TL> I disagree that CVS works "just fine".

    > That's hardly the point, I think.

    > Having 10'000 revisions on a single branch is something that people
    > want to do with CVS, and will want to do with arch.

Depends on what you mean by "want" really.   CVS doesn't give you a
clean alternative.   Arch does, and that alternative has benefits of
its own.

I assure you that the archive format that CVS was derived format and
functionality design of CVS were not designed with active, 10 year old
projects firmly in mind.  Sad but true.

    > (Another thing which I find arch unsuitable for is hacking at a large
    > remote tree when you don't have much local disk space.  I spent a few
    > years working on a 300 MB tree with a laptop with 4 GB local disk,
    > typically none of which was free; that would not have been possible
    > with arch.)

Depends what you're doing.  You have room for 13 copies of that tree
on your laptop.   Arch can keep you quite happy within that
constraint.

For simple hack/commit usage, you can by with just 2 copies (3
transiently) --- leaving plenty of left-over room for your local
archive.

What would make you unhappy on a typical laptop is not disk space but
i/o bandwidth and latency.