Re: [Gnu-arch-users] question about greedy library and history

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] question about greedy library and history
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 11:16:34 -0400

David Allouche wrote:
On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:40:18PM -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:

I've been focusing on sparse libraries. Are lots of people using non-sparse libraries?

I hardly see how that relates to the current thread...

Oh, it relates to the current thread because the backbuilder builds revlibs. Though for the case of non-sparse libraries, it's used only for getting the initial revision.

However, _I_ use non-sparse libraries, and do so for a good reason:
that's the only way to ensure optimal hard-linking of the library.

Okay, good to understand the motivation. Whether the backbuilder is more or less optimal wrt hard-linking is hard to say. It will use import revisions for some cases where the old code would use revlibs, but it will also cross tag/archive boundaries when hard-linking.

BTW, I just added a "decimate" command in tlash which deletes 9 over 10
revisions from the library idempotently. The idempotence garantees
(along with a non-sparse library) that the decimated library is going to
be optimally hard-linked.

e.g. you remove patch-2 through patch-10? Sounds handy. Have you sorted out why vim gets unhappy in tlash?

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology