Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --fix]
Date: 05 Apr 2004 04:09:10 +0200

>> I don't assume a short period of time (I'm thinking of the Emacs
>> repository which is almost 10 years old (if you count its RCS
>> life)).  With CVS, the >10K revisions all in "the same big
>> thing" work just fine.

TL> I disagree that CVS works "just fine".

That's hardly the point, I think.

Having 10'000 revisions on a single branch is something that people
want to do with CVS, and will want to do with arch.  If arch is to be
useful for those people, it should be able to deal gracefully with
that sort of thing.

If you think those people are wrong in wanting to do that, your answer
should hopefully be ``that's insane, but arch will handle it just fine.''

(Another thing which I find arch unsuitable for is hacking at a large
remote tree when you don't have much local disk space.  I spent a few
years working on a 300 MB tree with a laptop with 4 GB local disk,
typically none of which was free; that would not have been possible
with arch.)

                                        Juliusz