Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:46:28 +0100

Hi Alex,

> IIRC, the problem RMS has with O'Reilly is that they would just be
> publishing the books without actually putting any revenue back the
> author's way. I don't see what is wrong by stating a preference for
> people buying from a publisher like GNU who will do that.

RMS didn't state a preference for people buying from him/FSF.  He
requested other possible publishers, e.g. ORA, not to publish.  Thus
removing the possibility/choice from customers.  There's a significant
difference.  Especially when the licence says `you're free to publish
this', but the licensor/figurehead says `I'd rather you didn't'.

I don't mind, although find it amusing that `software should be free, you
can find others ways to earn a crust' lines up with `please, no one else
publish our free books, we need to earn a crust'.

The main point is, FSFE may want to check with RMS before deciding to
publish.

Cheers,

Ralph.