Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:29:35 +0100

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 10:38:39AM +0100, PFJ wrote:

> > What I've seen of that troll (and others on ucol) seems to indicate that
> > the worst of the damage is being done because idiots respond to the
> > troll.  That's what killfiles (and 'scoring' as in slrn) are for.
>
> Unfortunately (as I have found on ucol), the troll concerned seems to
> enjoy skipping kill files/plonking (if you're using Pan) by changing his
> posting name.

Kill the subthread (I believe tin and nn can do this, slrn can although
it needs some regular expresssion tweaking)?  I unremember whether he is
also changing email address, but there may be something in the
Message-ID which is unique to him.

> He is also completely impervious to all attempts of gentle
> humour, polite requests or anything else like that. If it is the same
> troll as I'm thinking of, he has been up to his unique brand of justice
> since 1995

Yes, he's a troll, they don't usually go away by asking them politely.
Ignoring them, however, generally deprives them of amusement and they
find somewhere more responsive.

> > (And by using the 'N' word you invoke Godwin -- once that term is used
> > pejoratively the rest of the discussion is meaningless.)
>
> Unfortunately, I have a feeling Godwin wouldn't work - he would probably
> try to use it against who ever attempted to invoke it...

It was Mr. Baldwin here who was using 'nazi' about the person, the
trouble is that once that word gets used the person using it has lost.

> The only way to stop this troll is either through the courts (which is
> somewhere he will be at tomorrow) or by abuse reports to his ISP for his
> continual abuses.

Yup.  As I said, trying to argue against him in the newsgroup under
attack or raising petitions against him are not tactics which will
either work well or put the FS community in a good light.

Chris C