Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:08:59 +0100

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 09:54:42PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Alex Hudson wrote:
> > Copies of many of Richard Stallman's writings are freely available on the
> > gnu.org site, they could be printed.
>
> They're not available as free software though ;-)

That's possibly because they are not software and cannot be treated as such.

To bring this back on topic, I would consider "Free Software, Free Society:
selected essays of Richard M Stallman" to be probably the most useful
book (indeed, these essays are considered some of the most important on
gnu.org, I think). You can buy it deadtree from the GNU Press (FSF
associate members were getting this book on signup too; I'm not sure whether
that is still the case, there is still a discount from the GNU shop AFAIK).

The book I mentioned is available as free documentation, and could be
reprinted in full if you wanted, although there's a lot of it. Inside the
cover is the standard GNU.org 'you are free to distribute and modify so
long as the copyright is intact' clause. It contains essays such as the
GNU manifesto, the Right to Read, Can you trust your computer?, What is
Copyleft? and the Danger of Software Patents, not all of which are recent
but all are still very relevant.

Cheers,

Alex.