Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:18:26 +0100

Hi Alex,

> The book I mentioned is available as free documentation, and could be
> reprinted in full if you wanted, although there's a lot of it. Inside
> the cover is the standard GNU.org 'you are free to distribute and
> modify so long as the copyright is intact' clause.

Although you're allowed to do so, as with the manuals for GNU programs,
Richard Stallman may prefer you don't.  Tim O'Reilly has publically,
several times, related how Stallman has asked that O'Reilly don't
publish some `free' material from GNU, e.g. the manuals, because they're
a significant income stream for GNU/FSF.  Tim's complied, but feels,
IIRC, it's a bit hypocritical.

So, before publishing copies yourself, you may want to check if GNU/FSF
would prefer copies were bought from themselves where possible.

Cheers,

Ralph.