Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003

From: Jason Clifford
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:48:41 +0100 (BST)

On 30 Jun 2003, PFJ wrote:

> Unfortunately (as I have found on ucol), the troll concerned seems to
> enjoy skipping kill files/plonking (if you're using Pan) by changing his
> posting name. He is also completely impervious to all attempts of gentle
> humour, polite requests or anything else like that. If it is the same
> troll as I'm thinking of, he has been up to his unique brand of justice
> since 1995

Yes he is very well known.

He is also currently being tried for harrassment in Cardiff and may face a
custodial sentence although due to his known mental health problems this
is very unlikely.

The best, indeed the only, way to deal with him is to totally ignore him.
Don't respond to any thread that he is running. Most people understand
this however a small handful of others are feeding him.

An alternative might be to lure him into some other niche area however
that would be very nasty so reserve this course of action for specifically
masochistic newsgroups ;)

> Unfortunately, I have a feeling Godwin wouldn't work - he would probably
> try to use it against who ever attempted to invoke it...

He has a history of supporting NF type organisations.

> The only way to stop this troll is either through the courts (which is
> somewhere he will be at tomorrow) or by abuse reports to his ISP for his
> continual abuses.

I reported him to his ISP on Saturday for the criminal behaviour in
"passing off" as a well known hardware supplier. He stopped posting under
that name on Saturday. It may be co-incidence however I hope they did
issue him with a warning. If he posts under the companies name again I've
advised them to notify the ISP that they may be jointly liable for damages
suffered, on the basis that financial interest may push them to act where
nothing else has.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG               Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/                   Sign up now