[Fsfe-uk] New committee proposal

From: Marc Eberhard
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] New committee proposal
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:53:40 +0100

Dear AFFS Members,

we have received three applications for our vacant posts in the committee.
Our constitution says, that we only have to hold formal elections, if the
number of applicants exceeds the number of posts available. As this is not
the case, we would like to accept the applicants named below as new
committee members unless someone of you raises concerns about either a
candidate or the process itself. If you have reservations against accepting
the three applications below, please either email address@hidden or
write to us before 14 JUL 2003. Otherwise we will welcome the three to the
committee on 15 JUL 2003.

Please also note, that Dr Brian Gough will retired on 15 JUL 2003 from his
current post in the committee. I like to take this opportunity to thank him
in the name of all other committee members for all the good work he has done
and wish him good luck and success with his new free software project. Even
though it is sad to loose him, it's at least for a good purpose in the
development of more free software!

Thanks,
Marc

email: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
email: address@hidden, web: http://www.aston.ac.uk/~eberhama/

These are the applications from the three candidates in alphabetic order:

- -------------------------------- snip --------------------------------

Adam Bower <address@hidden>
- -----------------------------------

I want to promote the use of free software on what are (currently) non-free
systems, eg. the use of openoffice and mozilla on windows platforms. I also
want to make small business aware of what they can do with free software
without replacing IT infrastructure that will have been a fairly significant
investment already. Of course I want to promote the long term goal of using
entirely free software but I feel short term gains may be more achievable.
Political influence and default exploitation routes also interest me and the
chances of influencing government decisions at the highest levels and also
at the lower levels seems to be a good direction for AFFS to take and to
further the work done here already.

- -------------------------------- snip --------------------------------

Ian Lynch <address@hidden>
- -----------------------------------

In depth knowledge of schools IT issues, government workings etc

Qualifications

Non in ICT but then that's an advantage isn't it :-)
First degree maths/physics, PGCE, MSc in Education Management.

Former jobs

Teacher, senior management: Helped set up first CTC, Kingshurst, extensive
experience dealing with the media and press. Panorama documentary done of
Kingshurst CTC for example. Won MicroUser award for software written for BBC
micro, so some hacker type experience. Curriculum Director for Maths and
Science at the CTC Trust, Registered Inspector OFSTED, founded Institute of
Registered Inspectors in schools a sort of union for OFSTED RgIs Assessor
for the National Professional Qualification for Headteachers Contacts in
hundreds of schools from Truro to Tyneside and a few abroad. Set up
INGOTs.org qualifications framework to provide an income stream for free
software. Started action with OFT on M$ Schools Agreement. Contribute to
marketing with the OO.org project. Run a company that helps schools obtain
grants for development work. Installed major GNU/Linux thin client
implementations in several schools in collaboration with Fen Systems.
Working with Birmingham University to get free software projects underway
targeted on education. Currently talking to Channel 4 about a possible
program which could include free software issues such as software patents
but only very start of the proceedings. Working on setting up a free
software implementation of a language laboratory with St Monica's School in
Bury.

Generally interested in marketing strategy for free software. Obtaining
funding for projects and making them happen.

Andrew Savory <address@hidden>

My primary concerns would be to boost active membership (particularly in
non-computing circles) and to increase the visibility and public recognition
of AFFS. I would like to ensure AFFS is seen as *the* authority on free
software (and associated issues) in the UK.