Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 10:00:47 +0100

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 09:31:16AM +0100, Chris Puttick wrote:
> Possibly slightly cynical, but in my experience, getting teachers to use
> Flash would be only slightly more likely than getting them to use scripts.
> Both would require an understanding of programming (logic-wise), where
> putting a presentation together in OOo (or similar!) is much nearer to the
> ICT capability/interest of the average teacher. I think offering them Flash
> would not get big interest. Certainly wouldn't at the schools I work with,
> although that might be the Manchester pollution levels ;-).

Generally, teachers are not hugely involved in the making of support
materials like online courses. I was thinking more about companies like
LearnDirect / UfI, who put courses out to tender and software companies
actually generate the course.

I will have to investigate the Flash potential of OOo further, I did
try it once and it did output something that was Flash. It didn't appear
to work correctly, but ho hum. OOo could make a good basis for a free
software replacement for Flash in the short term though - obviously, if
it can output to Flash and XML it probably wouldn't be a huge leap to
make it support something like SVG (maybe it does already?). As you say,
"PowerPoint" is already something people are very familiar with.

Cheers,

Alex.