Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?

From: ian
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?
Date: 09 Jun 2003 10:27:10 +0100

> I will have to investigate the Flash potential of OOo further, I did
> try it once and it did output something that was Flash. It didn't appear
> to work correctly, but ho hum. OOo could make a good basis for a free
> software replacement for Flash in the short term though - obviously, if
> it can output to Flash and XML it probably wouldn't be a huge leap to
> make it support something like SVG (maybe it does already?).

Export as SVG is listed in the 1.1beta OO.org Draw.

>  As you say,
> "PowerPoint" is already something people are very familiar with.

I have a potential project lined up to create lesson plans to follow the
QCA schemes of work in say maths and science for whole class teaching
using a data projector. I have suggested creating the lesson "slides" in
HTML so that its open, and so anyone anywhere can access them eg a pupil
on a 56k dial up connection from home. OO.org Impress/Powerpoint were
obvious choices, but I'm reluctant to go down that route because it
constrains things. If we want illustrations with eg video, these can be
buttons that link to a video player and file, but the basic lesson
structure isn't dependent on it. How easy is it to generate simple
animations from a server side environment like PHP? If its possible, the
use of plugins and client side stuff could be minimised and kept to
"well its nice, but not essential stuff"

There would be money to pay a programmer to do this if it comes off. It
won't be a matter of teachers doing it unless they really want to.

Any thoughts?

--
ian <address@hidden>