Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?

From: Martin WHEELER
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:53:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> The Knoppix CD won't boot on this relatively recent system that's
> already running Red Hat.

OK.  I have to say I haven't come across a machine yet that I can't run
it on (I had a ball in PC World Taunton trying it on every machine in
sight until the salesmen begged me for a copy) -- but quite a few have
made me go to the help option on boot-up to find out how.  My Toshiba
laptop for example requires 'knoppix noscsi' to get it going.  (Combo
CDR/W + DVD).

Only caveat for installing to hard disk -- you will need 2.5G free (it
installs A LOT of stuff); and 128M of RAM available.

Apache, PHP and MySQL are all there -- Apache requires only that you
provide it with a ServerName in the conf file to access localhost.
PHP and MySQL just work.  (Create a mysql user account and go.)

> Overall, I agree Knoppix is a great idea.  But if it's sold to people as
> `Here, boot from this CD and you'll see how good Linux is' then they may
> look unfavourably on Linux when it doesn't boot on their system, yet
> other CDs do.

As I said, I've found few machines I can't get it to boot on.
YMMV of course -- maybe I'm just lucky.
address@hidden                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/