Re: [Freetype] Best approach to get anti-aliased font bitmaps?

From: Marc L Cohen
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Best approach to get anti-aliased font bitmaps?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 08:58:55 -0500

>"Pedriana, Paul" wrote:
>> Yes, but hand-tuned anti-aliased bitmaps are going to be better
>> looking and faster than manually anti-aliased monochrome bitmaps.
>> I want to use hand-tuned anti-aliased bitmaps. So I ask again,
>> is such a thing possible with FreeType?
>
>I suppose they would look great but I have never heard *any*
>discussions on "hand tuned anti-aliased bitmaps".
>
>To my knowledge no one has ever created them. They just do not
>exist.

Actually there were some. When IBM first introduced the XGA display
adapter, the OS/2 driver was distributed with hand tuned anti-aliased
bitmap fonts for onscreen display. Support for them was lost when they
switched from a 16-bit display driver model to a 32-bit model.

>What little I have heard on the subject of "much better fonts"
>is that in the future we will have higher resolution displays
>(~200DPI) and then anti-aliasing will not be an issue.
>
>--
>Brian Stell

Marc L. Cohen
Internal:address@hidden