Re: [Freetype] Best approach to get anti-aliased font bitmaps?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Best approach to get anti-aliased font bitmaps?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 02:05:11 +0200 (CEST)

> After coding AASB for moz I found this in chapter 2 of the
> TrueType spec:
>
>   EBSC - Embedded Bitmap Scaling Table
>
>   While this is the sort of thing that outline font
>   technologies were invented to avoid, there are cases (small
>   sizes of Kanji, for example) where scaling a bitmap produces
>   a more legible font than scan-converting an outline.
>
> -> Perhaps it could be implemented in FreeType too.  :-)

Indeed, the structures have been defined already in tttypes.h, but
there is no code which uses it.  David?

> I would prefer that people move toward newer font technology such as
> TrueType rather than fixing up older technology such as X bitmap
> font.  There is nothing wrong with fixing up older technology since
> that is what apps find in the field.  and I would gladly talk about
> how I did AASB for moz if there is interest.

We are all busy people, doing FreeType as our hobby, and adapting
contributed code to FreeType is much easier and less time-consuming
than developing from scratch.  We would be glad if you can add EBSC
support, or make suggestions how it shall be implemented.  It seems
that your AASB is related to this -- maybe the effort to add this to
FreeType is not too difficult.