[Freetype] Best approach to get anti-aliased font bitmaps?

From: Pedriana, Paul
Subject: [Freetype] Best approach to get anti-aliased font bitmaps?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 15:55:27 -0700

We are using FreeType and it works fine with TrueType and
PostScript outlines. However, we would like to have some
bitmapped fonts that have anti-aliasing in the bitmaps
(so they look nice). What are the various approaches to
achieving this with FreeType?

   - Does FreeType support anti-aliased bitmaps?
   - Can we add anti-aliased bitmaps to TrueType or PostScript fonts?
   - Do any other font formats support anti-aliased bitmaps?

Thanks, Paul