Re: [Freetype] Best approach to get anti-aliased font bitmaps?

From: Anthony Fok
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Best approach to get anti-aliased font bitmaps?
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 10:39:19 +0800

For your information, starting with Mozilla 0.9.7 or 0.9.8,
the bitmap fonts are anti-aliased whether the bitmaps are reduced
enlarged (with curves filling in-between when enlarged).
Note that the original bitmap fonts are just BDF/PCF ones; they are
originally black-and-white bitmaps.  Mozilla just anti-aliases them
on-the-fly.  :-)  Not sure who implemented it though, but it is definitely
way cool.  Perhaps it could be implemented in FreeType too.  :-)

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 03:55:27PM -0700, Pedriana, Paul wrote:
> We are using FreeType and it works fine with TrueType and
> PostScript outlines. However, we would like to have some
> bitmapped fonts that have anti-aliasing in the bitmaps
> (so they look nice). What are the various approaches to
> achieving this with FreeType?
>
>    - Does FreeType support anti-aliased bitmaps?
>    - Can we add anti-aliased bitmaps to TrueType or PostScript fonts?
>    - Do any other font formats support anti-aliased bitmaps?

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling