Re: [ft-devel] Two patches for FT

From: Victor Luchits
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Two patches for FT
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:12:04 +0300

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
version: 2.1.9 and current (dating back to the end of december)
font: Tahoma 8px
settings: native bytecode interpreter enabled, antialiasing disabled

Don't complain about that!

I do not complain. I just tried to report something that looked like a bug to me..

The tahoma font (version 2.60) has this

gasp table:

  <gasp>
    <gaspRange rangeMaxPPEM="8" rangeGaspBehavior="2"/>
    <gaspRange rangeMaxPPEM="16" rangeGaspBehavior="1"/>
    <gaspRange rangeMaxPPEM="65535" rangeGaspBehavior="3"/>
  </gasp>

Flag value 1 means `with bytecode', value 2 means `anti-aliased', and
value 3 means `with bytecode and anti-aliased'.

Thus, for sizes <= 8ppem, the table says ``don't use the bytecode
interpreter, just do anti-aliasing''.  Consequently, using tahoma with
disabled antialiasing at 8ppem gives bad results.  Starting with
9ppem, the results with the current CVS version of FreeType are just
fine.

Hm, I'm not sure if version 3.14 (that comes with Windows XP) has the same gasp table, but most likely it does. The fact that tahoma 8px is rendered just fine in WinXP make me think that its bytecode interepreter is buggy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, is there any chance of updating http://mbox.troja.mff.cuni.cz/~peak/ftdemo/ to the current FreeType version (or even nightly builds) of FreeType? I think it would be very useful for testing.

--
Best regards,
 Victor Luchits                mailto:address@hidden