Re: [ft-devel] Two patches for FT

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Two patches for FT
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:52:56 -0500

>>>>> "Frederic" == Frederic Crozat <address@hidden> writes:

Frederic> Well, I can say this fix has improved gecko rendering a lot
Frederic> on some webpages :

Frederic> http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~fcrozat/freetype/freetype-broken.png
Frederic> http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~fcrozat/freetype/freetype-ok.png

I just gave cvs a try and found a similar problem as shown in the
above pngs.  I mostly get this in mozilla (and firefox) where I have
dpi set to 132 (my lcd is 133, but their config gui came up with 132....)

I use /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2/jre/lib/fonts/LucidaBrightRegular.ttf
for browsing.  (The font should be in any sun-derived java package.)

It is easier to see the bug if you give ftview -r 66 rather than -r 132.

Look at ftview -r 66 15 .../LucidaBrightRegular.ttf

The miniscules with a curve at the top have an x-height one pixel
larger than those with a line segment, akin to Frederic's pngs.

This did not happen with a *much* earlier version of ft2; I do not
remember exactly when it started.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr. <address@hidden>