Re: [ft-devel] Two patches for FT

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Two patches for FT
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:01:18 +0100 (CET)

> > Look at ftview -r 66 15 .../LucidaBrightRegular.ttf
> >
> > The miniscules with a curve at the top have an x-height one pixel
> > larger than those with a line segment, akin to Frederic's pngs.
>
> This is a different problem.  Just to be sure that it is really a
> problem of FreeType: Can a Windows user please check the output of
> this font and post a small PNG image which contains the characters
> a-z?  `-r 66 15' corresponds to a pixel size of 14.

Whether the x-height is one pixel too large or not depends on the used
dpi value.  For example, if I use 96dpi (as with Windows), all sizes
appear just fine.  I get the impression that it is not a FreeType
problem but that the font has been optimized for 96dpi (this is, it
contains special bytecode for this particular resolution) but not for
72dpi or other resolutions.