adonthell-general

Re: [Adonthell-general] UTF-8 Plan

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] UTF-8 Plan
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 10:18:40 +0200

On 02 May 2002 09:58:25 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> Adding UTF-8 support to the dialog engine should be trivial, I think,
> as Python natively handles it and dialogs are nothing more than Python
> scripts. Actually you don't even have to add UTF-8 support to the
> dialog engine, as to get Japanese strings it will call the nls
> translate function with the english text as a parameter. And as
> gettext already supports UTF-8 (fortunately :)), there is nothing
> special to be done there. Am I right Kai?

Actually ... yes :). Stupid me! As we will always work with English
string up to the point where gettext is called, there is not that much
to be changed. Still, the dialogue engine for example stores the string
after translation, so it needs some changes too. The same might be true
for the text bubble.

But the main work has to be done with the window system.

> The only part that would need UTF-8 support - that is, the only part
> that displays text - would be the Window system. 0.3 one simply can't.
> I guess you'd be better inspired to work on the new one in the 0.4
> branch, although there is no much yet - and Joel already planned to
> support UTF-8 with it.

Really? That's cool. But in that case, I guess it's not really worth to
add unicode support to the old window system. However, we might consider
porting the new window (and input) system back to 0.3. Gamepad support
for Waste's Edge will be a nice enhancement and a 0.3.4 release would
help us stay in the news.

Kai