adonthell-general

Re: [Adonthell-general] UTF-8 Plan

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] UTF-8 Plan
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 09:24:13 +0200

On Wed, 01 May 2002 19:20:43 -0400 Josh Glover wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I am thinking of forking off 0.3.2 and adding UTF-8 support to make
> sure I know what I am doing, then folding the working code back into
> the main tree. Sound reasonable?

Sure. Although it's better to fork off from the current state (which is
sorta post 0.3.2, but pre 0.3.3), because the dialogue engine has been
rewritten since 0.3.2.

> Also, we need Unicode support in the dialogue engine only, or the map
> engine as well? In short, what parts of the Adonthell engine display
> text to the user.

There's the dialogue engine (dialog.h), the speech bubbles
(text_bubble.h) and the window system in general (label.h). The strings
themselves are spread across the various python scripts. But changing
them to unicode strings is trivial, as far as I know.

> Are we using standard TTFs, or still our own Waste's Edge font? Making
> a Unicode TTF will be non-trivial, I am afraid, so handling standard
> TTFs might be a good idea.

I imagine we'd be using some standard TTF. It all depends whether we'll
find some good, free TTF - shouldn't be a huge problem.

Kai