Re: [Adonthell-devel] Data update

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Data update
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 16:44:20 +0200

On 14 Apr 2002 16:16:45 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> > Uh, cool! But they should be able to send us the po files back, and
> > continue the work that have been started (especially on the French
> > translation ;p). I'm browsing the site right now, to understand the
> > exact procedure, but it looks cool.
>
> Just read the reply to incoming maintainers. I really find the way the
> translation project works is weird.

[...]

> Opinions guys?

Hm. I don't think it is _that_ bad. For one you upload the program
somewhere so they can have a look at it (and possibly run it too if they
are serious). And I imagine that most people willing to print out a form
and snail-mail it to the FSF are serious. So I expect the quality of the
translators there to be pretty good.

Second, you'll post your email address, so if there are any questions,
they should be able to contact us. Again, if they are taking their job
serious, we should hear from them.

The thing is, it doesn't hurt trying it out. If it turns out that they
are a bunch of weirdos that do not meet our quality expectations, well.
who cares. Then 0.3.2 was the last .pot file they recieved. We're not
forced to use their services if we don't like them.

But if they are good indeed, it'll save us a lot of work, which is a
very good thing I think. We are desperately searching for people that
can do some work on their own and with their own responsibility. The TP
does exactly that. Don't be afraid of losing control. We still control
the result. And if we don't like it ...

That are my 2ยข (we really have to wait for some more opinions on this
matter though before taking a decision)