Re: [Adonthell-devel] New zlib.dll that still doesn't work

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] New zlib.dll that still doesn't work
Date: 12 Apr 2002 11:11:12 +0200

> Hm. I think the stdout and stderr text is something SDL does. But your
> new test did not use SDL. OTOH, you can compile console apps under
> windows that do output to the console (i.e DOS box or NT console). Of
> course, we want a graphical app, so that's out of question. Besides, I
> wouldn't know how to do it with cygwin. (That's really offtopic though.)

Well, using mingw32 and Wine, whether I use SDL or not has no importance
- the stdout.txt and stderr.txt files are always created.

> Hm. Wine isn't Win95, but one would imagine that something that runs
> under Wine runs under Windows as well :P.

Right. That's why I'm so surprised.

> Actually, I'm playing with the
> thought of installing VC++ once again, and certainly some sort of email
> client, so I don't need to reboot every other minute and do some
> extented testing tomorrow.

That's nice of you :)

> Anyway, while it's possible that there are problems with the z.dll, the
> versions I compiled myself where linked to a static libz that I compiled
> myself as well. And the tests and minigzip I compiled myself worked fine
> too. With cygwin!

*cruiiik*

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File
> "/home/kai/adonthell/wastesedge/scripts/schedules/mapcharacters/lucia.py",
> line 19, in ?
>     import random
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/random.py", line 93, in ?
>     _verify('NV_MAGICCONST', 1.71552776992141)
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/random.py", line 88, in _verify
>     raise ValueError(
> ValueError: computed value for NV_MAGICCONST deviates too much (computed
> 2,82843, expected 1)

I hardly see how the i18l stuff could cause that assertion to fail. Feel
free to commit even if it's broken, I'm curious to test it on my box
too. I've manually set a variable to the same value under a Python
console and tested the assertion, it works. Maybe some module you are
importing before this one?

Which makes me think: With our distributions, it might be worth to
include the Python module files that are needed by Adonthell in the
'modules' directory (games could include extra ones as well). That way,
Windows user (who probably don't have Python) will be able to play out
of the box, and we'll be sure everyone is playing with the same files,
which will make such debugging easier.

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org