Re: BLT troubles with redhat 4.1

From: Tim Jares
Subject: Re: BLT troubles with redhat 4.1
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 14:18:24 -0500

Paul -

Unfortunately, I didn't take notes on my struggle, but I did get
swarm running on a redhat 4.1 installation a couple of weeks ago.
Because I didn't know what was wrong half the time, I was just
experimenting to get things to work.  Hence, I'm not sure you'll
need to do everything I did to get it up and running. Nevertheless,
as I can recall the things I did are as follows:
1.  Removed tcl7.6 and tk4.2 that came with my redhat 4.1
distribution.  As near as I could tell, swarm is untested with
these versions.
2.  Download tcl7.5, tk4.2, and blt2.1 from "swarm"-directed
sources.
3.  Configure and install these packages in this order pretty
much following the defaults.  However, I had to tell the configure
script to not build tcl with dynamic loading (I think this is
correct).  This prevented linking problems that I encountered later
in the installation (of something -- can't rememember if it was
swarm or one of the other packages....
4.  I'm not sure, but I seem to think the X11.h file is in a
subdirectory of /usr/include.

One final note for what it's worth. I loaded everything when I installed
redhat.

Good luck,

Tim Jares